What is Hepatitis B viral (HBV) DNA PCR?
HBV DNA PCR is a molecular-based assay using real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) technology for the quantitation and detection of HBV DNA.
PCR is a revolutionary technique in molecular biology based on the simple concept that mimics the natural process of DNA replication within a cell. The ability of PCR to amplify a small amount of DNA has made it one of the most widely used tools in molecular biology.
Our HBV DNA PCR assay employs the TaqMan™ chemistry coupled with real-time PCR technology. This allows for a highly sensitive method for detecting specific viral targets from small amounts of DNA obtained from human plasma and permits quantitative measurement of HBV viral load.
- Automated PCR for HBV DNA
- If used in combination with other serological markers for HBV, serves as an effective diagnostic tool for the management of HBV infection.
- Detection of HBV DNA contributes to the prognosis or prediction for outcome of acute and chronic HBV infections.
- For monitoring of response or resistance to anti-viral therapy.
- Helps identify HBV Reactivation in patients with non-reactive serological markers for HBV.
HBV DNA PCR Assay is offered in all HPD branches in Metro Manila and Cebu.
For inquiries, please visit your nearest HPD branch.
Specimen Requirements: 2 - 5 ml plasma transported at 2 – 8 °C
HBV DNA processing: batch processing of 21 specimens per batch
Cut-off time for receipt and processing of specimens: 9:30 am
Results schedule: 2 – 3 working days; Saturdays and Sundays excluded